Medical and research organizations provide opportunities to participate in societies and associations that offer community, mentorship, and professional development. Members come from different backgrounds, specialities, and interests in medicine and scientific research. This includes undergraduates, medical students, graduate students, scientists, and physicians.
An organization can be found for any specialty and research interest and membership provides many benefits. Including opportunities to attend conferences, research symposiums, scholarships and grants, poster/oral presentations, mentoring workshops, and more!
Below, you will see a list of some medical and research societies that offer membership to medical students. Please click the link provided for more information regarding the society, membership requirements, etc.
If you know of a medical or research society that is not listed, please feel free to comment or contact me!
General Medical and Research Memberships
- American Medical Association (AMA)
- The Arnold P. Gold Foundation Gold Humanism Honor Society
- American College of Surgeons
- National Association for Biomedical Research (NABR)
Allergy & Immunology
- Emergency Medicine Residents’ Association
- Society for Academic Emergency Medicine
- American College of Emergency Physicians
- American Academy of Emergency Medicine Resident & Student Association (AAEM/RSA)
Medical Genetics and Genomics
- Women in Neurosurgery
- American Association of Neurological Surgeons (AANS)
- Congress of Neurological Surgeons
- Radiological Society of North America (RSNA)
- American Roentgen Ray Society (ARRS)
- Society of Nuclear Medicine and Molecular Imaging (SNMMI)
Obstetrics & Gynecology
- The Ruth Jackson Orthopaedic Society (RJOS)
- J. Robert Gladden Orthopedic Society
- Orthopaedic Research and Education Foundation
Otolaryngology (Head and Neck Surgery)
Physical Medicine and Rehabilitation (Physiatry)
- American Psychiatric Association (APA)
- American Academy of Child Adolescent Psychiatry (AACAP)
- American Academy of Addiction Psychiatry
- Society of Biological Psychiatry
- The Association of LGBTQ Psychiatrists
- The American Academy or Psychoanalysis and Dynamic Psychiatry
- American Association of Community Psychiatrists (AACP)
- Society of Thoracic Surgeons (STS)
- American Association for Thoracic Surgery (AATS)
- Southern Thoracic Surgical Association
- Women in Thoracic Surgery (WTS)
Disclosure: Compensated Affiliate.